The castle Wolfsberg near Ermatingen in Switzerland.
The Wolfsberg as as health-resort hotel / guest-house under Karl Bürgi junior, (1870 - ?) Folding advertising postcard about 1910.
On June 2, 1595, the castle Wolfsberg including
the Rheinau cloister, was acquired by squire
Friedrich Gelderich von Sigmarshofen. The
family Gelderich of Sigmarshofen came from
Ravensburg, where in 1501 an older Friedrich
Gelderich possessed the castle Sigmarshofen.
The new owner of Wolfsberg, Hans Friedrich Gelderich von Sigmarshofen was married to Margaretha von Schulthaiß from Constance. Friedrich appeared in public with important wealthy nobles, thus impressing the community with his network of acquaintances. This behavior was very similar to his predecessor. He increased his property through different renowned purchases of land around the yards Höhnwilen. On July 6 1501, Friedrich claimed jurisdiction of other nearby properties near the Wolfsberg. The Wolfsberg remained in the Gelderich family for 200 years thereafter, to the end of the feudal-time, under the Thurgauische free-seats.
Squire Friedrich Gelderich died in the year 1610. He was buried in the church at Ermatingen. With the renovation of the church in the year 1899, a memorial slab made out of sandstone was discovered and, after thorough cleaning, the following transcript could be read on it:
- -- --
< Den sibend Tag May im 1610 Jahr
Ist Gott befolen der Edel und vest
Hans Friedrich Gelderich von Sig-
Marshofen zu Wolffenberg, dem Gott
Gnädig sein wolle, Amen >
<The seven day May in the 1610 year
is God been ordered the noble
Hans Friedrich Gelderich of Sig-
marshoffen to Wolffenberg, and God
mercifully wants to be, amen>
Over this insciption are crossed the coat of arms of the Sigmarshofen and that of his wife, Von Schulthaiss. The memorial slab has been acquired by the owner of the Wolfsberg and has been placed near the left of the entrance to the chapel.
The Wolfsberg first went over to the spouse of the deceased, Mrs. Margaretha Gelderich, born Schluthaiss, and shortly thereafter she purchased additional properties. In the year 1614, the son Johann Friedrich Gelderich inherited the additional property. Under this Squire Hans Gelderich von Sigmarshofen, the Wolfsberg estate grew again.In February 1614, the additional purchase of the feudal estate of Oberhöhnwilen was made. Furthermore, on March 25 of the same year he acquired another house and and possessions of Höhnwilen. Finally in 1616 he purchased another house and other properties in the neighborhood. After having demolished the former buildings he built a new, two-storied farmhouse, with residence, stable, barn, and storage, etc.
On March 20, 1623 the Squire Hans Wilhelm von Sigmarshofen appears in the registers as owner of the Castle of Höhnwilen. This castle had been restored after a supposed fire. In any event in 1623, the Squire Hans Wilhelm was already owner of Wolfsberg and Höhnwilen. This is due to his purchase of March 04, 1623 of a big meadow in the vicinity of Höhnwilen. Further, on May 25, 1628 he acquired the farm of Römerstall (later named Rennenstall).
The Wolfsberg changed ownership 27 more times before a Switzerland bank, the UBS AG, bought it 1970 and, while expanding it, transformed it into an executive center of development.
Castle Wolfsberg and its owners:
- Construction 1576: Wolf Walter von Gryffenberg x Margaretha Muntprat
- Purchase 2.6.1595: Friedrich Gelderich von Sigmarshofen († 1610) x Margaretha von Schulthaiss
- Inheritance 1610: Margaretha Gelderich born von Schulthaiss
- Inheritance 1614: Johann Friedrich Gelderich von Sigmarshofen († 1638)
- Inheritance ca.1623: Hans Wilhelm Gelderich von Sigmarshofen († 25.01.1651)
- Inheritance 27.3.1657: Georg Leopold Gelderich von Sigmarshofen († c.01.01.1701) x1 1666 Eva Christina von Remchingen 2 Maria Elisabethe von Rothberg
- Inheritance about..1700: Georg Friedrich Gelderich von Sigmarshofen
- Purchase 4.2.1701: Duke Leopold Eberhard von Württemberg (1670–1723) x Anna Sabina Hedwiger (1676–1735)
- The Wolfsberg changed ownership 27 more times before the bank of Switzerland, the UBS AG, bought it 1970 and, while expanding it, transformed it into an executive center of development.
- - - - - - - - - -
The castle Wolfsberg today.
|back to the properties||back to the