The castle Sigmarshofen.
Sigmarshofen is located in the district of Grüntkraut about 71/2 kilometers south of Ravensburg. All that exists today are some houses, of which are the foundations of the former building and the former restored chapel. Behind the trees where there is a pond today, once stood the castle. Besides the millstones, nothing else remains of the castle.
Sigmarshofen, earlyer Sigmareshove; Austrian fief,consisted in the past of a castle, a chapel and a mill.
In 1257, Conrad of Sigemarshove is witness of a grant and soon thereafter, H. von Siegemarshove and his brother Konrad were also witnesses. In 1258, some other witnesses were Gerlohus and Ruodegerus von Emilhoven = Emmelhofen.
In 1276, the witness was Gerohlt Ritter (miles) von Sigemarshove, (other witnesses were Hainrich, the Maier villicusvon
In 1291, the Knight Gerloch of Sigmarshofen plead to the vestry of the cloister of Weingarten in order to relieve his budget a yearly grant of 4 ß Pfg that came from the farm Sigmarshofen, which his son Haginachhad built.
In 1344, there were discussions between Wemher von Rosenhartz named von Sygmerhofen and the cloister Weissenau concerning the stream of (Ober)Zell, that flows on the mill coming from the cloister.
In 1463 Johanns Häwat, the pastorate of U.L.Frauen in Ravensburg, sold the name of its parish and one tenth of a meadow of Dangrindeln to Stefan Nabholz in Sigmarshofen.
A contract in 1469 from Oswal Mayenberg and his wife Mrs. Gret Nabholz with Stefan Nabholz was signed. Now they were given the common rights of a meadow and a forest of Dangrindeln which was previously in possession of the Wildenmanns of the Wildeneck castle close to Weingarten.
In 1492 Christian Stärkin von Lochmühle sold them for 146 fl. to Steffen Nabholz, widower in Sigmarshofen.
The surroundings of Bettenreute in the district of Frohnhofen formed another vast fundamental property of the Gäldrich’s that the family sold in 1462 to Frick Humpiß.
With these incomes they probably acquired Sigmarshofen. Konrad Geldrich married with Margaretha Täschler was, according to the documents, in 1481 named after the castle. It is therefore most likely that he purchased it.
In 1501 the castle is in the possession of a Friedrich Geldrich staying in Vienna / Austria.
In spite of the sale of all goods in Ravensburg, the castle remained in possession of the Geldrich family until 1735 when it was resold.
The castle was completely destroyed in 1833.
According to a sketch of the archives of Ravensburg,
Sigmarshofen should have appeared once like this.